Wednesday, December 26, 2012

best of 2012

The best things I ate this year, in no order:

Lamb burgers from Pat La Frieda. These were a Christmas present from Caitlin. We'd had PLF's regular burgers before, and they're amazing. The remarkable thing about the lamb burgers is that they're exactly what you'd hope they'd be - I mean, they have the same balance of flavor and juiciness and texture as the beef burgers, but they're lamb. I know that sounds obvious, but ... I was prepared for these to just be very good lamb burgers, and instead they're the lamb burgers of my dreams.

Gotta also add the burger at Craigie on Main, and every burger at Flat Patties. And the Frisco Melt at Steak and Shake, for that matter.

Satsumas from Louisiana Lagniappe.

Ice cream! Juniper lemon curd and vinho verde pear wheatgrass from Jeni's, burnt caramel and Vietnamese coffee from Toscanini's.

Gold Rush apples. This was just the best apple I've had in years.
The roast beef and roast lamb sandwiches at Flour, and the roast beef sandwich at Cuttys.

Fried maitake mushrooms. Oh man. One of the best things I got at Wegmans.

Fried soft-shell crab. The other best thing I got at Wegmans!

Montmorency cherries.


Boiled custard. The boiled custard I made at the start of the year is just the best I've ever made, for some reason. I made some again in December and it's just not as good.


The shrimp and grits at Classic on Noble, mentioned in my last entry.

My own roasted coffee, especially with Solerno blood orange liqueur. Many amari, especially Campari and Amaro Montenegro. Many whiskeys, notably the cognac-finished Parker Heritage Collection bourbon, Bulleit rye, and the Lagavulin 16.

Double Cola in glass bottles in Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment