Wednesday, February 15, 2012

has he lost his mind

Blood

I am not capable of knowing such a thing as a blood taco exists without proceeding to make it my lunch, that's the thing.

There are a lot of ways to cook with blood. There are soups thickened with it - it congeals when cooked - or with cubes of blood floating in it. There are sausages made with it. I'm not a big fan of boudin noir, the French version - feel free to change my mind with free samples, French sausage makers! - but I love morcilla, the Spanish version, and black pudding, the English version. (I've never had boudin rouge, the Cajun version.)

A blood taco is just what it sounds like: cooked blood in a taco. In this case, blood added to diced skin-off pork belly, with some shaved pork, salsa, and turnip greens sauteed with garlic. Added a little hot sauce, a little lime juice.

(Blood has a lot of iron in it, duh. Alternate entry title: ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.)
(Alternate "duh": uh-doy.)

Blood taco

This is a very tame blood taco. I've seen them made with mostly blood and a few bits of innards, a sort of stone soup taco. Here, the blood makes the meat flavor richer and very juicy. Honest, you would not be bothered by it at all if I didn't tell you it was a blood taco. Maybe I'll make blood chili sometime. Maybe I already have and didn't tell you. Maybe you ate some of that chili without even knowing, you filthy gross blood-eater. You don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment