Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ground beef/bacon, fava beans, rice noodles

We associate them with the Mediterranean, but the leading producer of fava beans is actually China. 

Originally I had in mind something like mapo tofu, which is spiced ground pork served as a sauce over tofu - but using the favas instead of the tofu - but I didn't want to go out and get anything.  I didn't have ground pork in the house, but I did have a little local ground beef, and some bacon I could grind up, so I browned the two of those together until they started to crisp, and then made a pan sauce of black bean paste, sriracha, ginger, water, and a cornstarch slurry.

Of course, then I realize I'm about to put spicy ground beef over beans, and am reminded of the chili I'd just made - so I tilted towards Cincinnati chili by adding a pinch each of cinnamon and oregano, and mixing everything in with rice noodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment