Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My mother really wants me to post, so that the lamb head is no longer the first thing she sees when she looks at my blog. I will not counter with lamb testicles!

The lamb head was really good, for the record. The tongue, unfortunately, I overcooked - which, since it's not very big and needs to be peeled after cooking, is too difficult to rectify for it to have been worthwhile, given that it was practically free and less than a serving's worth anyway. It'd been so long since I'd cooked tongue, especially lamb tongue, that I shouldn't have been winging it.

The brains, those were cool. I'm amazed that brain sandwiches are a thing, because I can't imagine eating more than a couple bites of brains. It's not that the flavor is strong - really, they're the mildest offal. It's that they're so, so rich. I chicken-fried them, and it was like biting into a crispy-coated cloud - a rich, creamy cloud, although "creamy" is misleading here: there is nothing runny about it, nothing that will drip, nothing that will ooze, this is not a soft-cooked egg we're talking about. Nor is it gelatinous, nor does it melt in your mouth, per se. I don't really know how else to describe it: it's the texture of brains. Not the spongy, chewy thing you might be thinking.

We each had half a lamb brain, a serving about the size of a golfball and a half, and still couldn't finish it - just too rich.

The head itself, I roasted for about 30-40 minutes. The hardest thing was just getting the meat off, because it's a nooks and crannies kind of thing. Nice rich meat, less lamby than leg of lamb, less fatty than the neck/torso portion that we had later.

I'd seasoned the lamb with cumin, coriander, and salt, and we had the shredded meat on onion/cumin naan, with that yogurt from Sophia's. A great combination.

1 comment:

  1. Your description of Lamb brains got me thinking about zombies... Maybe they aren't horrid incarnations of the walking undead. Maybe Zombies are just foodies who are a little ahead of their time?
    P.S. I found my way to your blog via http://okaycheckitout.blogspot.com/2010/09/baby-duck-eggs-as-sold-by-asian-markets.html
    Really eloquent take on "fear factor" or even "bizarre foods" both cashing in on an american aversion to cross cultural understanding / super ethnocentric views.
    "I don't think adults have any business using words like "scary" or "gross" for real food that real people eat."
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete