Monday, July 25, 2011

day 7

Day 7

Fruit for breakfast. I don't know if you can really tell from this blog what a fiend I am for fruit, because I usually eat it fresh, with minimal adjustment. I have peaches, nectarines, apricots, grapes, Rainier cherries, watermelon, cantaloupe, and pineapple in the house right now, and we had a custard apple Saturday night - that's on top of frozen currants, rosehips, rhubarb, huckleberries, jackfruit, and soursop in the freezer, and dried apples and mango in the cupboard. 90% of the jam and preserves that I make is made with the minimal amount of sugar, because what I'm interested in is simply preserving the fruit so that I can have it with unsweetened yogurt. I would eat sour cherries, watermelon, Persian melon, fox grapes, and satsumas every week if I could, maybe every day. There is almost nothing you can make that is as good as good fresh fruit.

Lunch - sandwiches of smoked pork and barbecue sauce; chips with onion dip.

Dinner - Pimento cheeseburger, baked potato. I've explained before how I bake a potato but I'll point it out again because I think it makes a tremendous difference: hot oven (at least 400, but 450 is better), washed potato rubbed with olive oil and coarse salt. The oil and salt are optional - what's important is baking the potato at a high heat, without any foil or anything, so that the skin becomes well-roasted and crunchy.

So there you go, a week in my kitchen - some busy days, some basic ones, some trying stuff out, some standard boring stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment