Tuesday, May 24, 2011

(Previous entry has been fixed; for some reason an unfinished draft posted.)


Sophia's yogurt, green bitter orange preserve

Sophia's Greek Pantry, in Belmont MA, is a small Greek market that makes the best yogurt I've ever had. Not only is it incredibly thick and rich - look at it, it's nearly as thick as cream cheese, and I didn't strain it at all - but it's $3 a pound, which is about the price of a good supermarket brand like Brown Cow. Unlike Brown Cow, it's made from a blend of sheep and goat milk.

The thickness of it is just unbelievable. I've never had yogurt this rich. In this case, I'm having it with bitter green orange preserve - unripe oranges (still mostly rind, tiny nugget of pulp) that have been completely infused with sugar. Also from Sophia's.

They had a good selection of preserves and things like that - I also picked up grape molasses, for instance - and the most complete selection of Airborne honey (from New Zealand, but all Boston ethnic markets seem to carry it) I've seen. Lots of olive oils, olives, fresh cheeses, cured meats, things like that. But get the yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment